Thursday, May 26, 2011

Survived

One year ago today, was a life changing time in my life.
One year ago today, I could barely walk, could barely talk, and I could not eat.
One year ago today, I learned of a rare syndrome.
One year ago today, will be a day that I will never forget.

On May 26, 2010 I was admitted to the emergency room with a very rare blood disease.  None of my doctors could figure out what I had, until the ER doctor gave me a CAT scan.  It was a very scary time in my life.  There was a point during my stay in the ICU that I almost did not make it through.  My blood pressure was 66/22, I had a fever of 105 degrees, my body was shaking, I was throwing up, and having other issues all at the exact same time.  The doctors had to give my oxygen and more antibiotics.  They were not even sure if would make it.   Once my body relaxed, and I was still on oxygen, I saw a light.  I was in a dim room with a light just off to the left where my nurse was working on something.  There was no light above me, but all of a sudden there was a bright light directly above my bed.  Through my oxygen mask I said out loud, "no". My nurse turned around to see what I needed.  I looked over at her and nodded with a the reply of nothing.  I looked back at my ceiling and the light was gone.
After that night, I took a turn for the better.  I was more alert, I began eating, and my doctors said I was recovering quickly.
I was in the hospital for 11 days, five of those I was in ICU.  I got to go home on a Saturday to my sister's place.  I lived with my sister and TR for six weeks.  Since this time, I have been very healthy.  Doctors say that I will never contract this disease again in my lifetime.  Ironically this week, one year later, I had a bit of a scare, a deja vu'.  I woke up one morning with a sore throat on the left side (where I had the initial pain last year)  But thankfully, it is a cold.

I am very thankful to have survived this insane crazy experience.  I am also thankful for the people in my life.  Each person means more to me than anyone can every imagine.  He or she has shaped me in one way or another, and has touched my heart.  You will be part of me forever.  I do not take life for granted, I appreciate every moment that I have.  The biggest regret that you can have, is not just doing what YOU want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment